Those browsing on mobile devices currently account for at least 10% of all web traffic, which means that e-commerce retailers need to accommodate these users sooner rather than later.
How It Works
A mobile device is detected in the same way that your store detects different browsers. When someone visits your site from a mobile phone, your store detects the mobile browser and serves up the mobile theme, rather than your standard desktop theme. It all happens behind the scenes and is transparent to the user.
Setting Up Your Magento Mobile Theme
The Magento Go Mobile theme is easy to set up. Before you begin, take a few moments to explore the sample mobile theme to become familiar with the layout. The next step is to brand the theme for your store by choosing your colors, and adding your logo, background image, and banner. Finally, the last step is to click a checkbox to go mobile. That’s all there is to it!
Benefits of Magento Mobile
Quickly and easily create a storefront optimized for mobile devices so customers can shop even when they’re on the go. This mobile interface uses HTML5 technology and supports iOS and Android smartphones and tablets. It includes out-of-the-box features such as:
– Device-specific media capabilities for audio and video
– User-friendly search and results display
– Clean display of product detail pages
– Pinch, multi-touch and scaling images
– Easy swipe between product images
– Zoom capabilities
– Cross-sell and up-sell capabilities
– Drag-and-drop of products to the shopping cart
Magento Mobile for HTML5
The new compatibility with HTML5, which comes with Magento’s free Community edition e-commerce platform and its licensed Enterprise edition, is designed to help retailers drive up mobile commerce conversion rates and sales, says Roy Rubin, founder and general manager of Magento.
Magento says the HTML5 version of Magento Mobile includes:
– Image scaling and device-specific video and audio capabilities;
– New “user-friendly” search and results display;
– Drag and drop of products into a shopping cart;
– Cross-sell and upsell options;
– Swiping between product images, and product image zooming;
– Support for iPhone, Android and Mobile Opera browsers.