Did you know that Magento has a built-in way for you to track traffic and other key statistics on your website? Noted for its robustness and adaptability with third-party applications, Magento lives up to its reputation with an intuitive, actionable Magento Google Analytics integration. Developers and administrators alike will benefit from daily reports with targeted site metrics, performance details, and granular control over information feeds.
So how do you set it up? Well, one thing you shouldn’t do is embed the Google Analytics code directly in Magento theme files (for example, by editing footer.phtml), even if directed to do so by Google. To be fair, this method will generate some reports, but it leaves out certain crucial e-commerce statistics, which is probably why you want to use integrated software in the first place.
Magento Google Analytics Integration Instructions
Follow these easy steps to start viewing e-commerce data via Google Analytics:
1. Log into your Google Analytics account and select your Magento site.
2. Click Edit on the list of account profiles (don’t go straight to report.
3. Find “Main Website Profile Information” and click the Edit link next to it.
4. In the middle of the page, under “E-Commerce Website,” be sure to indicate your status by selecting Yes.
5. In Magento’s administration interface, enable Google Analytics under System>Configuration>Google API>Google Analytics.
6. Enter your Web Property ID and you’re all set!
What else does Google Analytics show you? Besides useful statistics about geographical location of purchases, click/visit tracking, and bounce rates, you’ll also be able to take of advantage of the Goals and Funnels feature. Specifically geared towards e-commerce users, this tool allows your developers to gather information about your website’s visual layout, which can help you optimize product displays and content in general to draw attention to desired areas of the website.
Be sure that you’ve upgraded to the latest version of your Magento edition before applying the Magento Google Analytics integration. This will help avoid incompatibility issues and bypass the need for unnecessary plugins. Contact us for a consultation today!