As mobile phones become more readily available and the wonderful world of 4G and wifi expand even further, the demand for mobile e-commerce is going to explode. In recent years, research has shown that the mobile e-commerce market is increasing steadily and not projected to stop anytime soon.
In a sample size of more than 70 million consumers, 100 online retailers and $10 billion in transaction revenue…studies have shown that:
1. The mobile e-commerce market is now worth more than $40 billion.
That means that the value has doubled from 2012.
In 2010, it was only worth 2 billion and now, it’s projected to hit above $50 billion by the end of the year.
2. In the first quarter of this year, there were $12 billion in mobile e-commerce transactions.
For comparison, in 2010 only 3% of online store visits were from mobile devices.
3. 37% of all online store visits are from mobile devices.
4. While Apple dominated the mobile scene for a while, over the last two years iPhone shares have dropped from 75% to 54%.
Most of the difference went to Samsung devices, which now make up about 31% of sales.
5. Tablets are becoming the next big thing. Currently, tablets drive 25% of all sales.
6. This does not mean that desktops are becoming irrelevant! 76% of consumers are still purchasing from desktops.
7. 33% of purchases are direct purchases, while 27% of sales come from email marketing that direct to a web store.
8. Consumers are more likely to purchase from a website using a mobile device after successfully purchasing from a desktop.
9. More mobile purchases occur on the weekends!
10. The trend of mobile e-commerce is projected to increase universally for all goods.
If you have questions or comments about mobile e-commerce, please let us know below!
source: custora e-commerce pulse